When we started this project, we didn't imagine that either of us would actually LIKE the process, we just imagined how good it would look when it was done - and that we'd save a substantial amount of money.
Somewhere along the way, I realized that the wood is looking better and better and I'm sort of enjoying it. Tonight Rodney with his normal happy go lucky grin, greeted us from the next dock saying "see, it can be sort of addicting" ... and you know, he just might be right!
3 days and 20 some man (woman) hours later, the teak was stripped. I didn't realize anyone could get tennis elbow from holding a heat gun all day! But the teak was stripped.
And during the process, we attracted the attention of "The Varnish Artist", Rodney, who is behind us on the next dock over. He began offering suggestions to help make the process easier and better. He loaned us his work platform so we could work from the water rather than contortionizing on deck. He advised us to use Snappy Teak Nu to brighten the teak since my bleach and water solution hadn't made a dent - see post below.
He's basically been our project mentor. Which is amazing since he's the pro! But he's also in the middle of a total makeover of a 1967 38' Hatteras -- everything from re-gelcoating the cabin & hull, new awlgrip on both - while still in the water, redoing all the teak, replacing the mahogany inside with teak. I can't wait to see the end result -- it will be fabulous! Someday we hope to have Rodney redo Winterlude's awlgrip hull and maybe even topsides, but not this year because we spent the budget
Back to my teak ... we brightened it with the Snappy Teak Nu and it looked much much better -- another 10 hours -- 5 hours with two of us working = 10 hours! :) Hopefully we got all the mold & mildew.
I caught a virus bug, but David got antsy and blue taped the entire cap rail yesterday morning - another 2-3 hours. Then he started using the little mouse sander with 80 grit sandpaper ... he got about halfway down the starboard side before the almost brand new Black & Decker mouse sander attachment piece broke off. So he went back to Home Depot and asking no questions, they replaced the sander! Kudos to Home Depot!
Sanding the entire caprail with 80 and then 120 grit sandpaper took him another 11 hours, but tonight it's DONE! If I feel better in the morning, I'm going to start with the first "sealer" coat of varnish. We're using Pettit Flagship Varnish, another tip from our friend and mentor, Rodney!
44 hours and counting ... at $45 an hour for a pro ... we've saved
$2,000 and the varnish hasn't even begun ... and the strangest thing is that we may actually be enjoying it! Winterlude will look 10 years younger, like having a facelift!